Go over these points. The more of them you confirm, the clearer your choice to work as soon as possible on becoming a non-smoker.
I regret that I have been smoking for a long time / many years.
- In 5 or 10 years, I will wish to have stopped smoking now.
- I've already stopped several times and started again.
- I think my function as a role model toward young people is much more important than the 'pleasure' to continue smoking.
- I feel that the 'pleasure' of smoking is actually mainly a symptom of my addiction.
- Others deem for already a longer time that I should stop. This is the cause of great tension between me and the people I love.
- I sometimes / often regret after a cigarette, that I have smoked it.
- I realize that by smoking, I sometimes / often have a bad smell coming out of my mouth.
- I smoke an average of more than 10 cigarettes a day and know that this is very bad for my health and well-being.
- I remember myself feeling much better in periods without smoking.
- I hate feeling myself 'an addict'.
- If I could completely spontaneously choose between being a smoker and a non-smoker, I would choose the latter.